Turkey stampedes and more – don’t miss the last weekend of the 2017 OC Fair
The Wild West Turkey Stampede has arrived at the OC Fair for its third year of crazy fun. Fairgoers can cheer for their favorites as turkeys race around the livestock arena in hot pursuit of treats toted in the back of Big Red, the remote-control truck.
Each show features three races and an audience-participation turkey-gobbling contest. The stampede is part turkey trot and part comedy routine, thanks to the steady stream of one-liners courtesy of owner Nancy Riegler.
“If you are within the sound of my voice you are just seconds away from the stupidest show in America – it’s time for the Wild West Turkey Stampede!”
It starts with the largest birds, weighing in at 40-plus pounds, charging after the truck like gangly prehistoric creatures. In all, 17 turkeys star in the show that Riegler describes as, “Just silly – you have to see it to believe it!”
Wild West Turkey Stampede shows are at 2 p.m., 4 p.m., 6 p.m. and 8 p.m. through Aug. 13 in the Livestock Show Ring and are free with OC Fair admission.
Here are 5 more things to do at the Fair before it ends
1. Cooking demo with Liam Waldman (Food Network STAR Kids) at 5 p.m. on Thursday, Aug. 10, in OC Promenade Culinary Arts.
2. Damsels of Destruction Demolition Derby is ready to rock your world at 8 p.m. on Friday, Aug. 11, in the Action Sports Arena.
3. Rebelution is on stage with Nahko & Medicine for the People and Hirie for two shows in Pacific Amphitheatre: Friday, Aug. 11, and Saturday, Aug. 12.
4. iBUYPOWER GameFest and Tournament is also doubling up! Check out the two all-day fests and evening tournaments in The Hangar on Saturday, Aug. 12, and Sunday, Aug. 13.
5. Finish off with something sweet: the much-anticipated Cake Decorating Contest is at 7 p.m. on Sunday, Aug. 13, in OC Promenade Culinary Arts.