These contests are sure to make you a winner!
Maybe you didn’t grow a blue ribbon tomato, perhaps your jam didn’t quite gel, or you missed the deadline to enter your most popular Instagram photos in the visual arts competition – don’t fret, you can still be a winner at the 2017 OC Fair!
Try your luck at our contests or just stop by to watch the hilarity. If you don’t win, you can always head to the midway and work on bringing home a giant stuffed gorilla.
OC Promenade contests
These contests in our culinary department are free to enter and winners will be awarded prizes and ribbons. Make sure to register starting at 5 p.m., before competitions begin at 7 p.m. in the OC Promenade Culinary Arts Building on the Mail Mall. Two age groups compete: 9 to 17, and 18 and up.
• Egg Toss Contest, July 14
• Spice & Utensil Guessing Game, July 16
• Cupcake Eating Contest, July 19
• Pie Dough Roll-Out Contest, July 20
• Milk & Cookies Eating Contest, July 21
• Fruit and Vegetable Culinary Contest, July 28
• Pie Eating Contest, Aug. 2
• Cheese Carving Contest, Aug. 3
• Watermelon Eating Contest, Aug. 4
• Chef Hat Decorating Contest, Aug. 9
• Orange Juice Squeeze Contest, Aug. 10
• Count Your Beans, Aug. 11
• Find the Worm, Aug. 12
• Cake Decorating Contest, Aug. 13
Over in the Explorium in the Family Fairway area, there are nightly Children’s Eating Contests for our younger Fairgoers, ages 5-18, at 6:30 p.m. Generous Fair vendors supply the food. Sign-ups begin at 6 p.m. – don’t be late, this is a standing-room-only event.
One of the great things about the OC Fair is that there is something for everybody. Senior contests are open to Fairgoers 55 and older and take place each Friday at the Meadows Stage near Centennial Farm. The fun starts at 2 p.m. and contestants must sign up at 1:30 p.m. First-, second- and third-place ribbons are awarded in each category.
• Senior Hat Contest, July 21 – Categories include best all-around, funniest, smallest, biggest, prettiest, most colorful, most patriotic and best representation of the Fair theme: Farm Fresh Fun. After the winners are announced, the annual hat parade begins.
• Senior Friendship Contest, July 28 – Contestants will be asked a series of questions do discover how well they know their Fair companion.
• Senior Bowling Contest, Aug. 4 – Contestants are given three chances to knock down a set of bowling pins and the senior with the highest score wins. There are separate competitions for men and women.
• Senior “Minutes to Win It” Contest, Aug. 11 – Seniors will work to beat the clock while performing a set of skills.