Competitions Ignite Creativity at OC Fair’s 2017 Imaginology Event April 21-23
Deadline to register for youth competitions is March 24, 2017.
Costa Mesa, Calif. (October 17, 2016) – Imagination comes alive at the OC Fair & Event Center’s 2017 Imaginology. This free three-day celebration of learning offers an adventure for children and their families as they learn and explore the various fields of S.T.E.A.M. (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Math) through hands-on activities, entertainment, workshops, demonstrations and more. Students are invited to dream big and develop their passions by submitting their best creations in a variety of free competitions.
New to the competition categories is 3-D Printed Art where contestants will put their skills to the test by creating an original 3-D printed functional or art-based creation. Participation in Imaginology competitions is free and includes divisions for pre-Kindergarten through 12. Entries are being accepted now and must be submitted online by Friday, March 24, 2017. Visit ocfair.com for competition guidelines and submission details.
Free Imaginology competitions include:
* 3-D Printed Art: Also known as additive manufacturing, students can create an original piece that is either functional, art-based or both.
* Cardboard Engineering: Let the creative juices flow in this competition, as contestants dazzle with handmade cardboard bicycles, games, furniture and so much more.
* Computer-Generated Art: Create a virtual masterpiece by using computers and computer software as part of the production or display of artwork.
* Drawing: Using the oldest form of technology, the human hand, create your penciled piece of art. Various drawing mediums are accepted, see competition guidelines for list.
* Farmology: Craft a farm animal or insect project from recycled or repurposed material.
* Fashionista: Use your imagination to transform unusual materials to a wearable piece of clothing.
* Fiber Arts: With a pattern or your own design, weave, stitch or knot a crafty creation.
* Jewelry: Using beads, gem, jewels and more, create your own delicate jewelry designs.
* Kinetic Art: Create a moving artwork through mobiles that move naturally or by machine power.
* Make It with Clay: Get your hands dirty and sculpt a clay creation.
* Motion-Based Media: Entertain by making a 5-minute or shorter animated film using claymation, stop motion, photography, film or video.
* Painting: Through careful strokes, display your artistic hand through your painted art-piece.
* Photography: Capture the world around you through a digitally taken photograph. Shooting with film also accepted.
* Manipulated Photography: Mess with Mother Nature by creating a new reality through digitally manipulated photography.
* Poetry: Express yourself through your own Haiku poem and illustrate it with a drawing, painting, collage, computer art or photo.
* Read & Draw: Read a book about a S.T.E.A.M. subject and draw or paint a book jacket that illustrates the story.
* Upcycle It!: Using old or discarded materials re-create a useful or beautiful artwork.
* Wood & Metal Arts: Cut, hammer, weld, glue and saw to create an art piece out of wood, metal or both.
Learning is “Full S.T.E.A.M. Ahead” at Imaginology at the OC Fair & Event Center April 21-23, 2017 with a weekend of exploration and fun for the whole family plus competitions, workshops and activities that will ignite young minds in the exciting fields of S.T.E.A.M. (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Math.) This free, annual event also features entertainment, exhibitors, vendors, design-your-own scarecrow and sawhorse contests, hands-on fun at the Centennial Farm, scavenger hunts and more.
Orange County students, grades pre-Kindergarten to high school, can showcase their talents in a variety of competitions for 3-D printing, photography, film-making, fiber arts, computer graphics and more. Entry deadline is March, 24, 2017. Open Friday 9 a.m.-3 p.m. and Saturday-Sunday 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Free admission. Visit ocfair.com/steam for more details.
The OC Fair & Event Center is located off the 405 and 55 freeways at 88 Fair Drive in Costa Mesa. For more information, please visit ocfair.com, become a fan on Facebook.com/OCFair, follow us at twitter.com/ocfair or call (714) 708-1500.