July 28, 2021 (9:09 am)
California Fresh exhibit debuts at the 2021 OC Fair, celebrates specialty crops
The OC Fair is proud to present for the first time ever the California Fresh Exhibit: Celebrating the Bounty of Our Counties.
This special exhibit, which debuted at this year’s fair, was created by OC Fair staff and is aimed at educating consumers and highlighting the state’s diverse specialty crops. The exhibit was developed as part of the California Specialty Crop Block Grant Program. At the end of the fair, the California Fresh exhibit will be on tour educating the public.
WHAT GUESTS CAN DO IN THE EXHIBIT
• Learn about everything from almonds and strawberries to ornamental plants.
• Play the County Bounty Treasure Hunt augmented reality (AR) game – Discover the state’s varied array of agriculture! Just look for the signs with the California Bear and use the QR code to get started or download the app (Apple or Google)
• Coloring sheet for kids – Dress the California Bear for a trip to the OC Fair! The special app also brings the bear to life and he shares information about the state’s many specialty crops.
• There are recipe cards located throughout the exhibit to help fairgoers discover delicious was to enjoy the bounty of specialty crops available.
• A special map in the center of the exhibit illustrates the diversity of the state’s specialty crops by showcasing each county’s key commodity crop.
• Selfie spots – Find all the different and colorful areas to snap pics with your friends, and tag #ocfairfun to be featured!
The exhibit will feature chef demonstrations and culinary experts sharing information on the benefits of these healthy and tasty crops grown in the state’s 58 counties, along with preparation tips.
Michael Marks will demonstrate on stage and introduce the culinary guests on stage. He will discuss the California crops and benefits of eating healthy.
MORE ABOUT SPECIALTY CROPS
Would you guess that Orange County is known for its variety of ornamental plants? California is called the Golden State for many reasons, one being the bountiful specialty crops produced here. These crops include fruit and tree nuts, vegetables, herbs and spices, floriculture and horticulture crops.
Specialty crops are grown and used for food, medicinal purposes and/or aesthetics or beautification in landscaping and more. These crops include the nutritionally delicious almonds and celery in school lunches, olives on your pizza, garlic and ginger that flavors your dinner, cut flowers in holiday centerpieces, trees in the park, and herbs in your medicine.
California produces more than 400 different commodities, many of which are specialty crops. They’re all around us! The goal of the exhibit is to educate consumers about the many benefits of these amazing crops, to promote healthy eating habits and to teach fairgoers about finding locally sourced produce and more.