July 27, 2019 (9:00 am)
Here are some ways the 2019 OC Fair offers sustainability to help the environment
To highlight the 2019 OC Fair’s agricultural theme, “Acres of Fun,” and its connection to the environment, the OC Fair went all out to bring fun and useful sustainability to the best party of the summer.
Some of those ways included:
- There are four agricultural-themed lounges spread throughout the fairgrounds where fairgoers can sit, relax and learn more about these California commodities: avocados, strawberries, oranges and beef. The lounges also feature recycled OC Fair banners re-purposed into cushions along with re-purposed palettes made into sofas, chairs, tables and stools.
- In addition to the lounges, there are areas sprinkled throughout the fairgrounds that were turned into decorative vignettes using items that would have normally ended up in landfills: Old bicycles, old tires, watering cans, empty 2-liter bottles, glass jars, cabinets, denim jeans and more.
- Look up and all around to spot the festive pennants that were re-purposed from vinyl banners and signs.
- Solar- and wind-powered stations in Plaza Pacifica allow fairgoers to recharge their phones without using electricity from the power grid.
- Watch where you step because there are drought-tolerant plants found throughout the fairgrounds that use less water and require less maintenance.
- Fairgoers are encouraged to use and re-use special OC Fair souvenir cups. After purchasing these reusable cups the first time, fairgoers can then get discounted refills at vendors.
- In addition to reusable cups, the OC Fair is free of most plastic straws with vendors and concessionaires offering paper straws.
- The Culinary Arts area in OC Promenade has edible spoons that come in two flavors: a sweet, chocolatey variety and a savory option.